Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Saving $1200 a year on phone services

I've decided that my goal for the coming year will be to set aside 20% of our income.  We're currently at a pathetic 5% and I'm looking to change that.

So each month, I'm going to be tackling one of our budget categories and trying to cut back. First I did groceries. Obviously this will be ongoing. I've started my price book, dabbled in couponing & took to stockpiling up on sales items.  I've got an inventory of my deep freezer to keep track of everything, but I do need to organize and take inventory of my pantry.

For this month, I decided to see what I could do to decrease our cell phone, landline & internet bills. I started by saying goodbye to my iPhone. We have WiFi here at home and I just wasn't using any of my data. But Verizon requires a data plan so that was $40 that was just being wasted. So I bought a used "no data required" old slider phone from ebay for $12 and will be using that from here on out.

We've got our land line & internet bundled for $112 a month with taxes. So I just averaged that out to $56 each. I called to get them seperated and had my number transferred over to Basic Talk. I bought the box at Walmart for $9.98 and my monthly bill is now down to $11.82. My internet is going to be $54 a month now. So I went from paying $213 a month (for a landline, cell phone & internet service) down to $106. That's just short of a 50% savings and at the end of the year I'll have saved a cool $1200.


No comments:

Post a Comment