Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Getting Frugal-er

Maybe that should say "Getting More Frugal". I was trying to be clever. Eh.

Winter is coming. We'll have one more "surge" of income & then things will be tight until March. This happens every year. My husband works in a more or less seasonal industry. When things are slow, he'll bring home half as much as he does when business is...busy.

We've been putting money away, but our furnace recently died. More specifically, the fan motor. So obviously that needs to be taken care of. Fortunately we have the money on hand, but we did have to dip into our mini e-fund.

All that being said, I think the first place to cut back is groceries. I think we do ok with our grocery shopping, all things considered. We live in a small town with only one grocery store chain (Safeway).  We are 30 minutes from the nearest Walmart & about 45 minutes from all other major stores. We're a family of 5. 

It's becoming very clear to me that we need to go a step further in order to make our grocery budget stretch a bit more. I know that this will mean:

Stockpiling on sale items
Creating a Master Grocery List
Creating a Master Meal List
Making & Utilizing a Price Book
Buying in season produce
Freezer cooking
Buying Bulk
Making my own cleaning supplies

So that's the plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment